Looking for a place to stay in Stuttgart? This guide will help you find the perfect place to sleep.
Not only have I lived in Stuttgart, I’ve come back to visit several times. I’ve stayed in both hotels and AirBnB’s in different parts of the inner city and the suburbs. I’m happy to now help you find the accommodation you’re seeking!
- 1 Where to Stay in Stuttgart
- 2 Top Hotels in Stuttgart, Germany
- 3 Stuttgart Hotel Comparison Chart
- 4 What to Look For In a Hotel in Stuttgart
- 5 10 Best Hotels in Stuttgart, Germany
- 5.1 1. Most Central Location: Motel One Stuttgart-Mitte
- 5.2 2. Great for Budget Travelers: City Hotel Stuttgart
- 5.3 3. Perfect for Families: Kronenhotel
- 5.4 4. Best Breakfast Buffet: Hotel Unger
- 5.5 5. Nearest to Shopping District: Aloft Stuttgart
- 5.6 6. Perfect for Couples: Zur Weinsteige
- 5.7 7. Best Boutique Hotel: Der Zauberlehrling
- 5.8 8. If You’re Looking for Premium Amenities: Le Méridien Stuttgart
- 5.9 9. If You Want to Splurge on a Luxury Hotel: Althoff Hotel am Schlossgarten
- 5.10 10. Closest to Stuttgart Main Train Station: Steigenberger Graf Zeppelin
- 6 A Few More Options
Where to Stay in Stuttgart
We recommend a centrally located hotel in Stuttgart Mitte because you’ll be within walking distance of so many things:
- Main train station (Hauptbahnhof)
- Shopping on Königstrasse
- The New and Old Castle, cathedrals, and the Markthalle
- Christmas markets and other downtown festivals
- Restaurants and cafes
- Museums and galleries
- The University
- The Hop On Hop Off Bus Tour
If you stay downtown and want to visit sights like the TV Tower (excellent views!), the Mercedes Museum, the city vineyards, the Seilbahn or Killesberg tower, you can either take the Hop On Hop Off Bus Tour and/or public transportation.
Stuttgart is a walkable city that has excellent public transportation (bus, tram, U-bahn, S-bahn, and train). You can also easily drive and park a rental car (for a fee), which means that no matter where you stay in or around Stuttgart, you’ll be able to get where you want to go without hassle.
We’ve used both public transportation and rental cars in Stuttgart with no problems. Many hotels offer onsite parking and there are many public parking lots.
Below are the 10 best hotels in Stuttgart’s city center.
Top Hotels in Stuttgart, Germany
- Most central location: Motel One Stuttgart-Mitte
- Great for budget travelers: City Hotel Stuttgart
- Perfect for families: Kronenhotel
- Best breakfast buffet: Hotel Unger
- Nearest to shopping district: Aloft Stuttgart
- Perfect for couples: Zur Weinsteige
- Best boutique hotel: Der Zauberlehrling
- If you’re looking for premium facilities: Le Méridien Stuttgart
- If you want to splurge on a luxury hotel: Althoff Hotel am Schlossgarten
- Closest to main train station: Steigenberger Graf Zeppelin
Stuttgart Hotel Comparison Chart
|Name||Our Rating||Price||Check Price|
What to Look For In a Hotel in Stuttgart
When looking for a place to stay in Cologne, we recommend considering which of the factors below are most important to you.
- Central location in the Stuttgart Mitte downtown area. In Stuttgart, if you want to stay in the heart of the city, the best location is within walking distance of the Stuttgart central station. That way you’ll also be close proximity to public transportation and many of the city’s main landmarks like the New and Old Castle, Markthalle, Königstrasse, and many more.
- Number and size of beds. You’re likely to have the option to book a variety of bed types – e.g., king (which might be 1 mattress or 2 twins on one king-sized frame – often with 2 duvets), a queen, or 1 or more twins. Sometimes a single room will have a queen or a twin. Not all of these will be available every hotel, though, so be sure to check what type of beds they offer.
- Rooms with en suite full baths. Most hotels offer full en suite bathrooms, some with a bathtub, some with a bathtub and shower combo, others will just have a shower. Some hotels in Germany – usually smaller boutique hotels or budget hotels – will offer rooms with a shared hall bathroom. The hotels in this list have full en suite bathrooms.
- Rooms with A/C. Summers in Germany can at times be hot and humid. Not all hotels in Germany have A/C, so if this is important to you, be sure to specifically look for it before booking. Note: if you don’t have A/C in your hotel, you’ll likely be able to open the windows (though you’re not likely to have a screened-in window).
- Breakfast. Most hotels offer free or paid breakfast (sometimes whether or not you get a free breakfast depends on the type of room you book). Many hotels offer a full German breakfast buffet, while others are simpler (bread, Brötchen, cold cuts, jam, coffee, tea). American chain hotels may offer an American-style breakfast (eggs, bacon, pancakes, etc).
- An elevator. While you’re likely to find an elevator in large, modern hotels with high floors, stairs might be the only option at older, boutique or smaller hotels. If you don’t mind carrying your luggage up a few flights of stairs, these non-elevator hotels are often quite charming. But if an elevator is important to you, look for larger, modern, or chain hotels.
- Parking. Some city center hotels will offer on-site parking for a daily fee. If there’s no on-site parking, you can likely find a nearby public parking area or on-street parking.
- Free wifi. Most hotels will offer free wifi throughout the hotel but it’s a good idea to check on that if having free wifi is important to you.
- Amenities. Hotels may offer facilities such as a gym, sauna, indoor pool, on-site restaurants and bars, or services like valet parking, a concierge or laundry service. Some even offer babysitting services! Many hotels offer the option to pay at the hotel and fully refundable rooms – sometimes at a slightly higher price than pre-pay or non-refundable rooms.
- Good value. Staying in a popular part of the city will typically cost more than staying further out but you’ll be able to easily walk to many sites and you’ll be close to public transportation. So you’ll not only have more flexibility during the day, you’ll also save time and stress by not having to “commute” to the city center each day.
10 Best Hotels in Stuttgart, Germany
1. Most Central Location: Motel One Stuttgart-Mitte
LOCATION: You can’t beat the location! Right downtown in Stuttgart-Mitte, close to everything.
I stayed at Motel One a few years ago when I was in town for a conference at the university and loved it. The rooms were clean and comfortable, and I loved that the hotel was quiet, even though it was right downtown.
It’s close to everything, including the downtown sights, restaurants and cafes, a supermarket, the university, the Christmas market, the main train station, and more. There’s even a metro stop right next to the hotel that will connect you with nearly every U-bahn or S-bahn.
Breakfast was good for a hotel. I’d stay here again without a doubt. Actually, I planned to stay here again on my last visit to Stuttgart but they were full, so I stayed at Hotel Unger down the street (see #4 in this guide)!
PERFECT FOR: Travelers who like staying in the heart of the city and exploring downtown by foot.
GUESTS SAY: “Clean, very comfortable and decently sized beds. Modern room, lobby and bathroom. The check in and check out were very quick and did not take a long time. The position is probably the best out of all hotels we stayed at in Stuttgart.”
SUMMARY: Motel One is a modern hotel with one of the best and most central locations. It’s just a few steps to many top landmarks including Schlossplatz, Koenigstrasse, and the Stuttgart Hauptbahnhof Train Station.
2. Great for Budget Travelers: City Hotel Stuttgart
LOCATION: Just 5 minutes from the center of Stuttgart (near the new castle, museums, and Markthalle), 2 minutes from the nearest metro station (Olgaeck). I stayed in this neighborhood on my last trip to Stuttgart and loved this area.
PERFECT FOR: Travelers looking for the best deals and value for their money.
GUESTS SAY: “Located very close to public transport! Several nice and reasonable restaurants very close by, serving traditional local food. Room was clean and comfortable. Overall, a nice value for the money and the location.”
SUMMARY: City Hotel Stuttgart is a simple and budget-friendly hotel with all the essentials. It’s located on a peaceful side street yet also just 5 minutes from the center of Stuttgart, making it a great jumping-off point for your travels in the city itself as well as the region of southwestern Germany.
3. Perfect for Families: Kronenhotel
LOCATION: 1,300 ft from Stuttgart Main Station (rail) and a 5 minute walk from Königstrasse, Stuttgart’s main shopping street.
PERFECT FOR: Those traveling with their families or a bigger group.
GUESTS SAY: “Really nice and big room. Staff was very friendly. Breakfast really good, bonus from on demand made eggs. Location was really good. Only short walk to center but Hotel in peaceful area without any center noise.”
SUMMARY: Kronenhotel boasts of a variety of rooms of different sizes including suites for families or groups. Located just a few minutes away from central Stuttgart and the city’s main rail station on a quiet street, guests at Kronenhotel can enjoy a sauna and steam bath here. If the weather is nice, take some time to enjoy the lovely garden terrace.
4. Best Breakfast Buffet: Hotel Unger
LOCATION: Just down the street from Motel One, this hotel is close to everything!
I stayed here last summer and loved it. You can’t beat the central location – close to everything yet still quiet. Staff were friendly and helpful (they let me into my room when I arrived at 7am!), rooms were clean, comfortable and had A/C, and the breakfast buffet was outstanding. Try the Döner place to the right of the hotel!
PERFECT FOR: Those who love starting their morning with a delicious and filling breakfast buffet.
GUESTS SAY: “Great breakfast. Seriously, really good! Excellent location. Close to the central train station. Most attractions are within walking distance. Efficient and very friendly staff!”
SUMMARY: Friendly, clean, and comfortable hotel in the city center with the BEST breakfast buffet in the city!
5. Nearest to Shopping District: Aloft Stuttgart
- 24-hour self-service gourmet pantry
- Rooms with city views
- Fun amenities (game room, fitness center, billiards)
- Public parking is available on site
- Hotel entrance can initially be hard to find
LOCATION: Aloft is located in the Milaneo shopping complex, which is about 0.6 miles from Königstrasse. The Stadtbibliothek metro station is 500 ft away from the hotel.
PERFECT FOR: Travelers who love shopping and want to be conveniently located to one of the biggest shopping complexes in the city.
GUESTS SAY: “Well located at a short distance from Stuttgart Hbf. It’s inside a mall – Milaneo which makes it very convenient for shopping.”
SUMMARY: If you are looking for a modern and hip hotel option, then Aloft is the hotel for you! This hotel has many amenities and is centrally located in the city of Stuttgart. It has a unique location inside the Milaneo mall and near Königstrasse which makes it extra convenient for your shopping needs.
6. Perfect for Couples: Zur Weinsteige
- Free wifi
- Outdoor areas (terrace and garden with a koi pond!)
- Bar and regional restaurant onsite
- Rooms with hot tub
- Depending on your room, you might hear noise from the trams that run past the hotel
LOCATION: 10-15 minutes from the new castle (Neues Schloss), Königstrasse, the Markthalle, and the Christmas market
PERFECT FOR: Couples looking for a romantic weekend in an old-fashioned, classic hotel.
GUESTS SAY: “Loved the friendly and authentic atmosphere and decor. Good location too. The room was fantastic with soft beds and linen, massive TV with movies to stream and a balcony overlooking the garden pond and courtyard.”
SUMMARY: While the rooms at Zur Weinsteige are modern, the structure of the hotel itself dates back to 1870. Its historic, vintage ambiance and furnishings make it a lovely getaway for couples. Located a 15-minute walk from most major attractions in central Stuttgart, this hotel is a great option for couples or those looking for a more historic atmosphere.
7. Best Boutique Hotel: Der Zauberlehrling
- Individually designed rooms
- Onsite restaurant with one Michelin star
- Breakfast in sun terrace
- Free wifi
- Open-concept bathrooms
- No elevator for rooms on upper levels
LOCATION: The hotel is located in two separate buildings (13 rooms and 3 suites) in downtown Stuttgart.
PERFECT FOR: Travelers looking for a boutique hotel experience with uniquely designed rooms you won’t see anywhere else.
GUESTS SAY: “The rooms are interesting (in the good way), the bed was very good, the bathroom was modern and inviting. We also had breakfast at the the neighboring restaurant and it was so good. The location is good, near everything but still quiet.”
SUMMARY: If you want to be where the people are, this boutique hotel is for you! Der Zauberlehrling is located in central Stuttgart, very close to restaurants, shopping, and major attractions in Stuttgart. It’s perfect if you’re looking for an experience, rather than just another generic hotel.
8. If You’re Looking for Premium Amenities: Le Méridien Stuttgart
- Free wifi
- Indoor pool with spa and wellness center
- Restaurant and bars onsite
- Family rooms
- Construction around the hotel area
LOCATION: Centrally located to Stuttgart Mitte, opposite the Schlossgarten Park, close to the main train station (Hauptbahnhof).
PERFECT FOR: Travelers who value luxury amenities and are looking for a relaxing stay.
GUESTS SAY: “The hotel is very well maintained, facilities were excellent and the staff very helpful. It was a short walk from the train station to the hotel and within walking distance to many restaurants and sites.”
SUMMARY: Travelers seeking comfort will surely enjoy the spacious and modern rooms offered at Le Méridien. Want to relax after your journey to Stuttgart? Make sure to take advantage of the services offered at Le Méridien’s spa and wellness center. They also have an oudoor and indoor pool, fitness center, hot tubs, sauna, and steam room.
9. If You Want to Splurge on a Luxury Hotel: Althoff Hotel am Schlossgarten
- Three onsite gourmet restaurants (one of them Michelin rated!)
- Free wifi
- Park and city views
- Soundproof windows
- Excellent location close to central train station
- No pool
LOCATION: Althoff Hotel is just 350 ft from Stuttgart’s main train station and looks out over a beautiful park!
PERFECT FOR: Those looking to travel in comfort and luxury in a 5-star hotel.
GUESTS SAY: “My room and the location were both fantastic. The hotel and my room were clean, as well as elegant and modern. The service at the hotel is wonderful as well. I would stay here again. The hotel is right across the street from the main train station, so it’s a short walk and easy to find. There are also many stores and restaurants around the hotel, and a public park area not far away, so there’s lots to see and do close by.”
SUMMARY: Do you like to stay where the action is? Only 5 stars and a Michelin rated restaurant will do? Look no further than at Althoff Hotel am Schlossgarten! This luxury hotel is located just a stone’s throw away from Stuttgart’s train station as well as many shopping and dining options in the center of the city.
10. Closest to Stuttgart Main Train Station: Steigenberger Graf Zeppelin
- Free wifi
- Unbeatable location
- Spa with health and wellness treatments
- Restaurants onsite serving Swabian and international cuisine
- Not all rooms have A/C
LOCATION: This is as city-center as it gets! Right across from the main train station.
PERFECT FOR: Those arriving or traveling by train and want to stay close to the station.
GUESTS SAY: “Hotel is conveniently located opposite of the main railway station. The room was spacious with a comfortable bed. The shower was great and having two sinks was a big plus. The gym on the top floor provided the standard workout equipment, which was good enough. Breakfast was very good.”
SUMMARY: With a clean and modern interior, the Steigenberger Graf Zeppelin is a great luxury option for most travelers (families, couples, business travelers). Located in central Stuttgart, close to Königstraße shopping street, Castle Square, and other major attractions.
A Few More Options
If you’re looking for luxury, would prefer to stay a bit outside of the city center, or are looking for something more unique, here are some great options:
- Hilton Garden Inn Stuttgart Neckarpark – Modern American-style hotel located farther away from the city center but near the Mercedes-Benz Museum and arena.
- Mövenpick Hotel Stuttgart Airport – A great option for business travelers it is adjacent to the Stuttgart Airport and a short walk to the ICS convention center.
- Wyndham Stuttgart Airport – Contemporary hotel located in a striking modernist property right across the street from Stuttgart Airport.
- Waldhotel Stuttgart – Located in the south of the city center in Degerloch, this upscale hotel provides a peaceful forest location and modern amenities.
- Novum Hotel Boulevard Stuttgart City – A simple, relaxed hotel with basic amenities. Centrally located, 5-minute walk from central train station and a 10-minute walk from Old Castle.
- Motel One Stuttgart Bad Cannstatt – If Motel One in Stuttgart-Mitte, you can check out their other location in Bad Cannstatt! This modern hotel is located in a charming, picturesque old town filled with half-timbered houses on narrow cobbled streets.
- EmiLu Design Hotel – This 4-star hotel is perfect for those who love fashionable and trendy interiors. It’s also located in a hip area among popular shops, restaurants, and near the Stuttgart Market Hall.