Picture this: you’ve landed in Germany and you’re ready to go out for a day of sightseeing. You look at the backpack or travel purse you carried on the plane and you just don’t want to lug it around today. But you’v got items you want to keep close to you so they’re safe, secure, and easy to access.
You could wear a money belt — but money belts feel bulky, make you sweat, and just feel uncomfortable under your clothes.
Plus, it’s not easy to fit (or access) your phone when it’s stuffed into a money belt that’s stuffed into your jeans.
You could also put your items in your pockets…but are they really secure enough?
I’ve got a better, not to mention prettier, solution: the hidden pocket scarf! Ever heard of it? I saw one at a travel conference a few years ago and was sold. This type of neck scarf is perfect for travel because it’s stylish and practical.
In this guide, I show you the best “hidden pocket” scarves for 2021 (they’re also often referred to as “passport scarves” because you can store your passport in it). My goal is to help you choose the best infinity scarf with a hidden pocket for your fashion and travel style.
- 1 Benefits of a Travel Scarf with Hidden Pocket
- 2 Choosing the Best Traveling Scarf with Zipper Pocket
- 3 What Can I Carry in My Pocket Scarf?
- 4 Are Infinity Scarves Just for Women?
- 5 Are Hidden Pocket Scarves for Winter Travel Only?
- 6 How Should I Wear an Infinity Scarf with Zipper Pocket?
- 7 Best Travel Scarf with Pockets (aka Passport Scarf) for 2020
- 8 #1 – Multicolor Triangle Infinity Scarf with Hidden Pocket
- 9 #2 – Black and White Checkered Flannel Secret Pocket Scarf
- 10 #3 – Kinvara Infinity Scarf with Zippered Secret Pocket
- 11 #4 – Black Ribbed Knit Infinity Scarf with Zippered Secret Pocket
- 12 #5 – Pop Fashion Lightweight Heathered Travel Pocket Scarf
- 13 #6 – Olive Rib Knit Infinity Scarf with Zippered Secret Pocket
- 14 #7- Peepsnake Smart Phone Scarf with Clear Touch Pocket
- 15 # 8 – Navy and Turquoise Ripples Infinity Scarf with Zippered Secret Pocket
- 16 One more thing…
Benefits of a Travel Scarf with Hidden Pocket
- Your most valuable items are kept safe because they’re completely hidden from view.
- You no longer have to worry about pick-pockets.
- Your hands are free when out sightseeing.
- Easily and conveniently stash your cash, lipstick, credit cards, phone, keys, passport (and more!) for the day.
- Because it’s an infinity scarf, you can rest assured it won’t accidentally fall off.
- You can easily adjust the scarf so that the secret zippered pocket is exactly where you want it, both for comfort and safety.
- It’s much easier to unzip and reach into the pocket in a secret pocket scarf than a money belt.
- If it’s warm, wear the scarf loosely around your neck. If it’s cold, wrap it tighter so stay toasty.
- Scarves are popular fashion accessories in Germany!
- Secret pocket scarves are the best kind of scarf for travel — or simply while out running errands, walking the dog or hiking at home! You’ll get a lot of use out of these scarves beyond your trip to Germany!
Choosing the Best Traveling Scarf with Zipper Pocket
These scarves come in so many different fabrics, colors, and designs that it can be hard to figure out which one (or two, or three!) is the right choice for your trip to Germany.
Here are 4 questions to ask yourself before buying your travel scarf:
1. Which season am I traveling in? What’s the weather forecast?
You’ll find hidden pocket scarves in heavier weight material for colder months and lighter weight material for warmer weather and indoor wear. You’ll find travel scarves in a variety of materials, such as cotton, polyester, and blends. If you’re traveling during the shoulder season, you may want to buy two scarves so you’re prepared for warmer and chillier weather.
2. What style of clothes am I planning to wear?
Would you prefer a neutral scarf that goes with all of your outfits? Or maybe a bright color or bold pattern that will stand out would be the better choice?
3. What do I plan to carry in my passport scarf?
If you only want to carry a few small items, like an emergency credit card and some cash, you might prefer a light weight scarf. If, however, you plan to stash several things in your scarf or heavier items like a phone or small camera, you may wish to opt for a more substantial scarf in a heavier weight material. Tip: if you don’t over stuff the pocket, your scarf will drape nicely and completely hide the secret pocket.
4. How much do I want to spend?
There’s a travel infinity scarf for every budget! Whether you want an inexpensive scarf just for this trip or prefer to invest in something you’ll use over and over, you’ve got lots of options.
What Can I Carry in My Pocket Scarf?
You most likely don’t need to carry all of the items below in your scarf at one time, but this list gives you an idea of the things you can stash in your pocket scarf:
- Credit card(s)
- ID card
- Pocket journal
- Mints or cough drops
- Transit pass
Are Infinity Scarves Just for Women?
Nope! Everyone can benefit from wearing a scarf with a hidden zipper pocket while traveling to keep important items safe and hands free.
Are Hidden Pocket Scarves for Winter Travel Only?
No! While you can find thicker, heavier, warmer scarves with secret pockets that are perfect for traveling in cold weather, there are plenty of lighter weight pocket scarves that keep your items safe and keep you comfortable in warm weather.
How Should I Wear an Infinity Scarf with Zipper Pocket?
You wear an infinity scarf with a pocket the way you’d wear any other infinity scarf. Most infinity scarves are long enough to wrap around your neck twice. Some scarves are long enough to wrap around your neck once and also cover your head. This is ideal if you want to cover your ears in cold weather or get caught in drizzle.
I recommend trying on your scarf before you leave for Germany so you can figure out exactly what you want to carry in the pocket and exactly how you prefer to wear it.
Best Travel Scarf with Pockets (aka Passport Scarf) for 2020
If you’re looking for a bit of color to spice up your outfit. Look no further! This Pierron & Co infinity scarf with a small hidden pocket that will hold the essentials. It’s made from 96% cotton so it is certain to be a great option for warmer climates. The secret pocket is 7.5 x 6.5 inches. Easy to hand wash and let air dry while traveling.
Pro: high quality fabric and construction, hand washable
Con: not machine washable
This black and white checkered infinity scarf comes with a 9-inch zipper pocket with enough room for small accessories and essentials like your phone, credit cards, or cash. It also has an eyelet in the pocket to help control those notoriously unruly earbuds. If you like this style of scarf but want a different color, you’re in luck – there are other colors and patterns to choose from.
Pro: structured, eyelet for earbuds
Con: flannel may be not be best for warmer weather
Customer reviews complement this Kinvara scarf on its style, comfort, and functionality. The neutral black and white color will complement all of your outfits! Because this scarf is made from a thicker material, it may be a better option for cooler climates. Pocket size is 7.5″X 6.5″.
Pro: excellent quality, neutral color
Con: not machine washable
This is another great option for travelers looking for something soft and stylish to wear on a chilly flight and while out sightseeing. It’s multifunctional, stylish, and does a great job of hiding your phone, cash, and passport while you’re out exploring your newest destination.
Pro: soft, stretchy, cozy fabric, hides heavier items well
Con: dark color may not suit your travel wardrobe
Hooray for color! This infinity scarf comes in six fun and colorful options. The hidden pocket will hold light items but may not be as well suited for heavier objects like a phone.
Pro: budget price, lots of colors
Con: not for very heavy items
Coming in a soft and comfortable rib knit material, this is another good option for keeping smaller valuables hidden while you’re traveling, at an event, or riding public transportation.Pierron Design scarves are high quality with durable zippers. The green is neutral and not too green. Also comes in red and black.
Pro: rib knit texture, excellent quality fabric
Con: not machine washable
This soft microfleece scarf features a picket with a unique touch-friendly window so that you can use your phone while it is still safely tucked away. There’s even a back camera lens so you can take photos without removing your phone from the phone pocket! The fabric won’t pill and is a great vegan alternative to wool. There is also a second pocket for your other valuables, like keys, lipstick or money. The scarf comes in several colors.
Pro: vegan, two zippered pockets, great for winter travel, keeps phone protected but usable in rainy weather
Con: solid colors only, not as stylish as other scarves, your phone is visible to others
Here is another great opportunity to add a pop of color to your outfit. This high quality cotton infinity scarf comes in a lovely navy and turquoise color with a pocket measuring approximately 7.5 inches by 6.5 inches.
Pro: machine wash, line dry
Con: color may be too dark for some
One more thing…
I’m totally eyeing this travel blanket scarf for my next trip! There’s no secret zipper pouch, unfortunately, but you can use it in several ways – as travel wrap scarf (perfect for sight-seeing), a travel scarf blanket (perfect for on the plane) or a travel shawl (perfect for nights out). Made from super soft micromodal fabric, this scarf wrap comes in several colors, and you can hand or machine wash.