Planning where to stay for your trip to Hamburg? This accommodation guide will help you find the best place to stay in Hamburg, Germany.
The city of Hamburg in Germany is known for its famous harbor area, the Alster lake, excellent food, vibrant nightlight, and so much more. To help you enjoy every bit of this city, we walk you through the best hotels in Hamburg, which are also close to most of the tourist destinations and best sights in the city.
I lived in Hamburg and its one of my favorite cities in Germany. When Aaron visited recently, he loved it, too! Last time we were there I spent a lot of time looking at accommodation options. So let’s take a look at where to stay in beautiful Hamburg!
- 1 Where to Stay in Hamburg?
- 2 Top Hotels in Hamburg, Germany
- 3 Hamburg Hotel Comparison Chart
- 4 What to Look For In a Hotel in Hamburg
- 5 10 Best Hotels in Hamburg, Germany
- 6 1. Closest to Alster Lake: Aussen Alster Hotel
- 7 2. Great for Families: Hotel Baseler Hof
- 8 3. Great Value for Money: Hotel Senator Hamburg
- 9 4. Best for Budget Travelers: Stay! Hotel Boarding House
- 10 5. Best Boutique Hotel: Henri Hotel Hamburg Downtown
- 11 6. If You Want to Splurge on a Luxury Hotel: Park Hyatt Hamburg
- 12 7. Nearest to Main Train Station: Hotel Alt Nürnberg
- 13 8. If You Want to Stay by the Canals: AMERON Hamburg Hotel Speicherstadt
- 14 9. If You’re Looking for Premium Amenities: Hotel Europäischer Hof Hamburg
- 15 10. For Breathtaking Views: Westin Hamburg
- 16 A Few More Options
Where to Stay in Hamburg?
If you’re only going to be in Hamburg for a few days, we recommend staying near the city center so you have easy access to places like:
- Hamburg Central Train Station (Hauptbahnhof)
- Hamburg Central Bus Station
- Downtown Hamburg (Rathaus, shopping, etc)
- The Alster lake
- Elbe Rive (boat tours, beach)
- Landungsbrücken (Port of Hamburg)
- Speicherstadt and HafenCity
- Museums (International Maritime Museum, Miniatur Wunderland)
- Parks and zoo (Planten un Blomen, Tierpark Hagenbeck)
- St. Pauli area
- St. Michael’s Church
- Hamburg Kunsthalle
- St Nikolai Memorial
- and much more (check out our best things to do in Hamburg guide here)!
If you stay right downtown you can even walk to several sights. If you want to take day trips from Hamburg, make sure you stay in a hotel that offers easy access to the main train station (e.g. on an U-bahn line that goes directly to the main train station without having to transfer).
Hamburg has an excellent public transportation system and if you buy a day ticket you can travel all over the city via bus, U-bahn, S-bahn, and even ferry. So no matter where stay, you’ll be able to get all over the city.
When you first arrive in Hamburg, we recommend taking the Hop On Hop Off bus tour (just ride the entire loop) so you can get oriented to the city. We did that so Aaron could see more sights quickly but I enjoyed it too and saw some new neighborhoods!
Top Hotels in Hamburg, Germany
- Closest to Alster Lake: Aussen Alster Hotel
- Great for Families: Hotel Baseler Hof
- Great Value for Money: Hotel Senator Hamburg
- Best for Budget Travelers: Stay! Hotel Boarding House
- Best Boutique Hotel: Hotel Henri Hamburg Downtown
- If You Want to Splurge on a Luxury Hotel: Park Hyatt Hamburg
- Nearest to Main Train Station: Hotel Alt Nürnberg
- If You Want to Stay by the Canals: AMERON Hamburg Hotel Speicherstadt
- If You’re Looking for Premium Amenities: Hotel Europäischer Hof Hamburg
- For Breathtaking Views: Westin Hamburg
Hamburg Hotel Comparison Chart
|Name||Our Rating||Price||Check Price|
What to Look For In a Hotel in Hamburg
When looking for a place to stay in Hamburg, we recommend considering which of the factors below are most important to you.
- Central location in the Hamburg downtown area. In Hamburg, if you want to stay in the heart of the city, the best place is downtown. That way you’ll also be close proximity to public transportation and many of the city’s main landmarks like the city hall (Rathaus), Hamburg Kunsthalle, St Nikolai Memorial, the Alster lake, and much more. HafenCity is another great area with easy access to the Elbphilharmonie and Speicherstadt.
- Number and size of beds. You’re likely to have the option to book a variety of bed types – e.g., king (which might be 1 mattress or 2 twins on one king-sized frame – often with 2 duvets), a queen, or 1 or more twins. Sometimes a single room will have a queen or a twin. Not all of these will be available every hotel, though, so be sure to check what type of beds they offer.
- Rooms with en suite full baths. Most hotels offer full en suite bathrooms, some with a bathtub, some with a bathtub and shower combo, others will just have a shower. Some hotels in Germany – usually smaller boutique hotels or budget hotels – will offer rooms with a shared hall bathroom. The hotels in this list have full en suite bathrooms.
- Rooms with A/C. Summers in Germany can at times be hot and humid. Not all hotels in Germany have A/C, so if this is important to you, be sure to specifically look for it before booking. If you’re not traveling in the height of summer, not having A/C isn’t usually an issue. Note: if you don’t have A/C in your hotel, you’ll likely be able to open the windows (though you might not have screens on your windows).
- Breakfast. Most hotels offer free or paid breakfast (sometimes whether or not you get a free breakfast depends on the type of room you book). Many hotels offer a full German breakfast buffet, while others are simpler (bread, Brötchen, cold cuts, jam, coffee, tea). American chain hotels may offer an American-style breakfast (eggs, bacon, pancakes, etc).
- An elevator. While you’re likely to find an elevator in large, modern hotels with high floors, stairs might be the only option at older, boutique or smaller hotels. If you don’t mind carrying your luggage up a few flights of stairs, these non-elevator hotels are often quite charming. But if an elevator is important to you, look for larger, modern, or chain hotels.
- Parking. Some city center hotels will offer on-site parking for a daily fee. If there’s no on-site parking, you can likely find a nearby public parking area or on-street parking.
- Free wifi. Most hotels will offer free wifi throughout the hotel but it’s a good idea to check on that if having free wifi is important to you.
- Amenities. Hotels may offer facilities such as a gym, sauna, indoor pool, on-site restaurants and bars, or services like valet parking, a concierge or laundry service. Some even offer babysitting services! Many hotels offer the option to pay at the hotel and fully refundable rooms – sometimes at a slightly higher price than pre-pay or non-refundable rooms.
- Good value. Staying in a popular part of the city will typically cost more than staying further out but you’ll be able to easily walk to many sites and you’ll be close to public transportation. So you’ll not only have more flexibility during the day, you’ll also save time and stress by not having to “commute” to the city center each day.
10 Best Hotels in Hamburg, Germany
1. Closest to Alster Lake: Aussen Alster Hotel
- Free WiFi
- Excellent breakfast
- Stylish modern Italian restaurant onsite
- Garden and terrace
- Flat-screen TVs
- No airconditioning
LOCATION: It will just take you 10 minutes to get to the city center. You may also find Central train station within 1.5km from the hotel.
PERFECT FOR: Those who want to stay within close proximity to Alster Lake
GUESTS SAY: “Good location very near the Alster Lake and the bus to the station and town. The staff were friendly and the breakfast was excellent. On the whole it was clean and the beds were comfortable.”
SUMMARY: Aussen Alster Hotel is a privately-owned hotel which is located 100 meters from Alster Lake. This hotel offers individually furnished, subtly themed suite rooms with free wireless internet access. They serve excellent buffet breakfast and fresh Italian cuisine in their modern restaurant, Schmilinsky.
2. Great for Families: Hotel Baseler Hof
- Free WiFi
- Family rooms
- Restaurant and wine bar with over 40 wines onsite
- Upper floors accessible by elevator
- Free public transportation passes
- No airconditioning
LOCATION: You just need to walk a few steps to reach Dammtor train station, shopping streets and the CCH Conference Center.
PERFECT FOR: Families or those traveling with children
GUESTS SAY: “Spacious rooms, beds were comfortable, easy check-in, spacious bathroom, great breakfast, attentive personnel.”
SUMMARY: Hotel Basler Hof is a traditional hotel that offers cozy, warm-lit rooms with private bathrooms each and access to free wifi. This hotel is located between Alster Lake and Planten un Blomen grounds which makes it easier for tourists to roam around Hamburg’s city center.
3. Great Value for Money: Hotel Senator Hamburg
- Free WiFi
- Private parking onsite
- Buffet breakfast
- Bistro and bar onsite
- Upper floor rooms with balconies
- Pets allowed
- No pool
LOCATION: Top destinations, central train stations and Alster Lake are all within walking distance. It is very convenient that you can also visit other places and you may also use public transportation.
PERFECT FOR: Those who want to make the most out of their budget
GUESTS SAY: “Very friendly and helpful staff who made us feel welcome. The room was quiet even though the area around the hotel is very busy. It is very useful for public transport which we used a lot. Breakfast was very good too.”
SUMMARY: Hotel Senator Hamburg is a 4-star hotel located in the lively street of Hamburg, St. Georg District. It is also near the Alster Lake and the central train station. This hotel offers simple and comfortable with free access to internet to all rooms and throughout the vicinity.
4. Best for Budget Travelers: Stay! Hotel Boarding House
- Free WiFi
- Air conditioning
- Turkish restaurant onsite
- Flat-screen TVs
- Private parking
- Could be noisy depending on your room since hotel is on a main street
LOCATION: If you are looking for a place near the airport, this is also the best for you as this is located only 9 km from the airport but it’s also near the city center. It’s also located just 300 meters from Hamburg Main Station and 900 meters from Mönckebergstraße.
PERFECT FOR: Travelers looking for budget friendly options
GUESTS SAY: “I liked the room, it was very spacious, neat and tidy and very clean. The bed was very comfortable, the bathroom was well equipped and lit with a great shower. The sink to refill water was also a nice touch.”
SUMMARY: Stay! Hotel Boarding House is a modern aparthotel with a central location. The whole accommodation is decorated with pictures by the Israeli artist, Uriel Cazes and unique wall art by Jull.
5. Best Boutique Hotel: Henri Hotel Hamburg Downtown
- Free WiFi
- Bar and coffeehouse onsite
- Shared kitchen
- Fully equipped kitchenette in some rooms
- Spa and fitness center
- No pool
LOCATION: Henri Hotel is located in the heart of Hamburg, close to many attractions and trendy dining options. It’s also a a 5-minute walk from Hamburg Central Train Station and very close to the Mönckebergstraße Underground Station.
PERFECT FOR: Travelers who want don’t like staying in chain hotels and want more unique accommodation options.
GUESTS SAY: “Loved my stay here. The room was large, well- appointed and clean. The staff was very helpful and kind. Excellent location on a quiet street near the train station.”
SUMMARY: Henri Hotel is a cool and modern boutique hotel located downtown. The hotel features spacious suites and studios with hand-crafted furniture and solid wooden flooring. With upgrades, you can also have a full kitchenette and French balconies in your room.
6. If You Want to Splurge on a Luxury Hotel: Park Hyatt Hamburg
- Free WiFi
- Air conditioning
- Family rooms
- Regional buffet restaurant and bar onsite
- Spa, sauna, indoor pool, fitness center
- Some rooms with kitchen
- No airport shuttle
LOCATION: Amazing central location within walking distance to the famous shopping area Mönckebergstraße and just 500 m from Hamburg Main Station.
PERFECT FOR: Travelers looking to splurge in a luxury hotel that takes care of all your needs and more
GUESTS SAY: “The room (standard double) was exceptional. We got one with a balcony and had lots of sun. In addition, the staff picked up the phone always immediately and was really friendly and helpful. The room and the hotel itself were very clean. There was a calm atmosphere and we could relax a lot. Location of hotel is excellent. In easy walking distance of centre and public transport.”
SUMMARY: Park Hyatt is a 5-star world-class hotel with great service and facilities. Upscale rooms feature warm decor, marble bathrooms, and some even have kitchens. Dine in at their German buffet-style restaurant or relax in their spa and other wellness facilities.
7. Nearest to Main Train Station: Hotel Alt Nürnberg
LOCATION: Hamburg Main Station and Hamburg Bus station is just 100 meters within the hotel. You can also find several attractions near the hotel.
PERFECT FOR: Travelers coming in or doing a lot of traveling by train from Hamburg Central Station.
GUESTS SAY: “Great location close to the station. Big room with a huge bathroom with bathtub. Comfortable bed, slept so well! Basic amenities all there and unnecessary frills not there, the bottle of mineral water was a great surprise to find on a hot day. The room is thoughtfully designed and super clean.”
SUMMARY: Hotel Alt Nürnberg is quite affordable and worth it for its price. This is a 3-star hotel with traditional-style rooms. Their rooms are very typical with private bathrooms, coffee makers, bathrobes. It also comes with a free water bottle upon your arrival.
8. If You Want to Stay by the Canals: AMERON Hamburg Hotel Speicherstadt
- Free WiFi
- Waterside views
- Rooms with balconies
- Bar and Italian restaurant onsite
- Spa and sauna
- No pool
LOCATION: The AMERON Hamburg Hotel Speicherstadt is the first and only hotel in the UNESCO World Heritage location of Speicherstadt.
PEREFCT FOR: Travelers who want a uniquely Hamburg accommodation
GUESTS SAY: “Room were very nicely decorated and we had a lovely view on the canal. Quiet, good amenities, spacious. The location was also very comfortable. Staff was excellent, extremely helpful and very nice.”
SUMMARY: The AMERON Hamburg Hotel boasts of a unique location by a canal in the beautiful and historic Speicherstadt. Rooms are modern, bright and classically decorated with mid-century touches.
9. If You’re Looking for Premium Amenities: Hotel Europäischer Hof Hamburg
- Free WiFi
- Gourmet restaurants and bar onsite
- Indoor pool, whirlpool tub, sauna and fitness center
- Seasonal terrace
- Free public transportation passes
- No A/C
LOCATION: Hamburg airport is just 8.8 km from the hotel and there are theaters nearby. Some of the attractions can be reached through public transportation. But don’t worry because the hotel provides complimentary tickets to public transport.
PERFECT FOR: Travelers who value luxury facilities like a pool and sauna and are looking for a relaxing stay.
GUESTS SAY: “We used the pool and sauna and they were perfect. After a day of traveling, a swim is a perfect way to exercise the stress away.”
SUMMARY: Hotel Europäischer Hof Hamburg is a 4-star hotel located in a historic building from 1925. They have classic-style rooms and different varieties of single and double rooms as well. The hotel is equipped with modern amenities like a spa and indoor pool. You can enjoy regional and international dishes in their restaurant or a drink in their lobby bar and terrace.
10. For Breathtaking Views: Westin Hamburg
LOCATION: The Westin Hamburg is located in the building of the Elbphilharmonie, in the HafenCity district in Hamburg.
PERFECT FOR: Those who want to wake up to gorgeous views of the river and the whole of the city
GUESTS SAY: “Spacious, light, marvelous view over the city and the harbour. Very clean. Huge bathroom. Absolutely perfect.”
SUMMARY: Westin Hamburg is located in the harbour area inside one of the top landmarks of the city. This sleek and modern hotel offers luxurious rooms with amazing city and river views. Amenities include an upscale restaurant, a trendy bar, plus an indoor pool and fitness center.
A Few More Options
If you’re looking for luxury, would prefer to stay a bit outside of the city center, or are looking for something more unique, here are some great options:
- Fairmont Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten – Ultimate 5-star hotel overlooking Aussenalster Lake with posh rooms, multiple upscale restaurants and a bar with a lake-view terrace.
- Fraser Suites Hamburg – This is a sophisticated hotel across from Rödingsmarkt U-Bahn station and 10 minutes away from St. Michael’s Church.
- Hotel Louis C. Jacob – An 18th-century vintage hotel located by the Elbe river and perfect for a getaway from Hamburg city center.
- Sir Nikolai Hotel – Located in Altstadt and 500m from HafenCity, this trendy boutique hotel has retro furnishings and artwork with a refined restaurant/bar with great views of the canal.
- 25hours Hotel Altes Hafenamt – A newly-opened industrial-style hotel located within walking distance of the Elbe river with individually-decorated rooms.
|ULTIMATE GERMANY TRAVEL RESOURCES|
|We’ve gathered some of our essential travel guides, websites, and other information to help you plan the best vacation! We use these resources ourselves and share them to save you money, time, and stress so you can focus on enjoying and making the most out of your time in Germany.|
GERMANY TRAVEL BUNDLE: Our Ultimate Germany Travel Bundle gives you the best tools, up-to-date tips, and expert insights to easily and efficiently tackle the travel planning process. You’ll get our custom Trip Planning Map, which shows you the best sights, hotels, castles, and more – because seeing where things are in relation to each other makes trip planning SO much easier! You also get our Trip Planning Spreadsheet, City Cheatsheets, How-to Videos, Germany Trip Planning Guide, and Trip Planning Spreadsheet!
BOOKING FLIGHTS: To find the the best flights deals, we recommend checking Kayak, Skyscanner, Expedia, Travelocity. These websites are also great for getting rental cars.
ACCOMMODATIONS: We recommend using Booking.com since they have widest range of accommodations available from hostels, boutique hotels, luxury chains, aparthotels, at the best prices. For vacation homes, we suggest checking VRBO. We also have accommodation guides on different destinations (Hamburg, Cologne, Munich, Stuttgart, and more to come!) in our website.
TRAINS & BUSES: For point-to-point or regional train tickets (great for day trips or groups) within Germany, or tickets originating in Germany to other European destinations, we recommend buying them on the Deutsche Bahn (German Rail System) website. If you want to buy a rail pass for Germany (or elsewhere in Europe), buy them on Rail Europe. For buses, FlixBus offers tickets for routes within Germany and to other European countries. FlixBus is often cheaper than trains but can take longer.
TRAVEL CREDIT CARD: One of the best ways to make travel to Germany more affordable is by booking free flights. Using the points accrued with our Chase Ink credit card (and a few others), we haven’t had to pay for flights to Europe in the past 10 years!
TICKETS AND TOURS: We always recommend exploring a new city for the first time with a Hop On Hop Off Bus tour (ride it all the way around for the entire 1.5-2 hour tour). Here is our guide on the best Hop On Hop Off Bus tours for different German cities. For guided walking tours, day trips, private tours, and skip-the-line tickets, Get Your Guide is our go to!
WHAT TO PACK: Not sure what to bring to Germany? Check out our 2-week minimalist packing guide for tips on traveling light, and our Germany packing list for our must-pack items. Bonus: check out our guides on finding the best travel purse and best travel scarf with a hidden security pocket.
TRAVEL CONSULT: If you feel like you need more help and guidance beyond these resources, book a travel consult with us! We offer personal live sessions where we’ll help you with things like planning your itinerary, showing you how to book train or skip-the-line tickets, and answer any other questions you have about traveling to Germany.